Caregivers Near Malibu, CA – 8 Great Habits of Highly Happy Caregivers
When you are well rested, you can last longer at a job without getting overwhelmed or burned out. Balancing all the things you need to do in life for others while still taking care of yourself can be quite a challenging act at times.
“Caregivers instinctively put a senior’s comfort and happiness above their own. But both are equally important. If caregivers sacrifice their own happiness for the sake of their job, they won’t be any good to the seniors they serve.
The American Medical Association describes the role of a caregiver as a potential “occupational hazard.” Caregivers face incredible stress and are at risk of psychological and physical problems. Side effects of caregiving include general burnout, self-neglect, depression, family conflicts and more.” http://www.aplaceformom.com/blog/2013-01-09-habits-for-happy-caregivers/.
- Eat a healthy diet full of the nutrients your body needs. This is essential for the senior adult you care for as well. Nutrients replenish what you’ve expended during your work. Keeping your body topped up on all the vitamins and minerals you need is one of the keys to good health and well-being.
- Get the support you need. This can come from family and friends. For help with caring for your senior loved one, you can hire a home care provider. For your own personal support, you can consider speaking with a counselor to help alleviate your frustrations.
- Take care of yourself mentally and physically. Both are essential for your health and happiness. Make sure you participate in regular exercise, relaxation, time for yourself, education, reading, hobbies and so on.
- Meditation has shown to have great benefits for family carers. You can combine it with yoga, music or other forms of meditation. It helps you to slow down a little and see things in a new light.
- Write in a journal. Sometimes the easiest way to let a frustration go is to put it on paper and then forget about it. A journal is also a good place to write down your words of wisdom or inspiration.
- Feel gratitude. It may be hard some days to think of what you can be grateful for, but the more you practise at it, the easier it will become. Gratitude can really help you appreciate everything, even the little things in life.
- Make personal goals. Write them down and make plans to achieve them. It will help you feel you are moving forward and progressing.
- Take some time off. This is essential. You need a whole week off a few times a year or even more if you’re able to arrange it. All these items of self-care are essential for feeling happy and well-balanced in your life.
However, if you consider the points raise here today, you’ll have a better idea of when it’s time for in-home care.
And, if you have any follow-up questions, please contact us (310) 400-6869…we are always here to assist…You are Important to Us!
We pride ourselves in the Best In-Home Care!
Caregiving for You, Inc.